Tuesday, June 3, 2008

More on drugs

Last night we saw the excellent documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster. I'd recommend this to anyone with an interest in the issue of drugs in sports. A very balanced, fair, and personal movie.

And while I am on the subject, the great Michael Johnson has made plain his feelings about the present rash of revelations, most notably with this statement about the 4x400 event in Sydney 2000:

As for the gold medal I won with Antonio, and Alvin and Calvin Harrison, who have all admitted to or have tested positive for drugs since 2000 when we won the medal, I'm sure that there will be calls for us to give it back. I'm not sure what will happen with that effort, but I know that the medal was not fairly won and that it is dirty, and so I have moved it from the location where I have always kept my medals because it doesn't belong there. And it doesn't belong to me.

So, as difficult as it is, I will be returning it to the IOC because I don't want it. I feel cheated, betrayed and let down.

1 comment:

http://seenonflickr.wordpress.com/ said...

I'll keep an eye out for this. I didn't see any Canadian release date on the web site, but maybe it'll come out on DVD.