Monday, July 7, 2008

Wimbledon

So Rafael Nadal finally climbed the mountain. Bjorn Borg, looking very distinguished at the sidelines, seemed happy enough for a new player to become "the last player to win the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year". So, if we presume the new, not quite the same Roger Federer is past his ridiculous prime, can Nadal maybe win all four next year? Fans of Rod Laver are on the edge of their seats.

Yes, I realise I just said someone who lost the Wimbledon final in five sets is past his prime. But I really think he is. The Federer of two years ago was so far ahead of the competition on grass that we wondered if he could ever lose. This year's vintage at least appears mortal.

1 comment:

http://seenonflickr.wordpress.com/ said...

Hooray for Rafael Nadal, my pirate boyfriend! Not that I dislike Federer, but competition like this can only be good for the sport.