Tuesday, August 17, 2010

RIP Bobby Thomson


The author of the most heartbreaking moment in Brooklyn Dodger history died yesterday, aged 86. I'll never learn to love that moment, but the Staten Island Scot has a special place in my memory.

When I was relatively new to the USA, ten years ago, I saw Bobby Thomson and his partner in history, Ralph Branca, at a trade show. They were attracting folks to a research agency's booth by signing photos of the Shot Heard Round the World, so being a good baseball fan I duly lined up. Someone in front of me was explaining to his colleague that the famous home run had won the World Series at Yankee Stadium. I took a moment to correct both errors.

When I got to the front of the line, as they were signing the picture, I mentioned that although the home run happened some years before I was born, it still broke my heart to think of it. Thomson looked up at me quizzically and said, "With an accent like that, what do you care?"

He had a fair point. But I did care, and I do care. And that home run still breaks my heart.

No comments: