Friday, December 14, 2007

Knowing when to retire

And the 2007 award for Most Ill Advised Sports Movie Sequel goes to Bring It On: In It to Win It, the fourth and no doubt far from last of the Bring It On franchise. In this one, we see a reprisal of West Side Story with cheerleaders.

No, really.

Previous winners of this prestigious award (which I just made up) include Bring It On Again, Bring It On: All or Nothing, Major League: Back to the Minors, Rocky IV, Rocky V, The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, The Bad News Bears Go to Japan, D3: The Mighty Ducks, The Karate Kid Part II, The Karate Kid Part III, The Next Karate Kid, and the all time classic The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold. This last gets extra kudos for being a sequel to a film that was already a serious contender for worst sports movie ever made.

But never mind- Semi-Pro is coming soon. Bring it on.

4 comments:

Beth said...

How can you say that! I loved Cutting Edge!!!!!!!!!

David D said...

The fact that I saw it while on an overnight bus trip full of Australian football fans didn't really help. There was a lot of heckling...

Unknown said...

Same here - I loved Cutting Edge. But then, I didn't know there was a sequel...and I am glad to see there's someone out there who knows of Bad News Bears in Japan, also another movie I liked.

David D said...

I think the problem here is that Cutting Edge is a chick flick sneakily pretending to be a sports movie. Rather like Jerry Maguire.